A plugin to authenticate users against a mail server via IMAP, NNTP, or POP3. It forwards authentication credentials provided by the user to a mail server, then relays the authentication decision of the mail server back to Joomla!.
In simpler terms, it lets users log in to Joomla! with the same username and password that they use for email, without the need to copy and synchronize the accounts manually.
- Fully localizable
- Set user email account based on configurable mail domain.
- Authenticate to mail server using full email address.
- Configable mail host address and port.
- Optionally require secure (non-plaintext) authentication.
- Support for TLS (optional or required) and SSL.
- Optional validation of SSL certificate from mail server.
- Supports the Joomla! Update System.
Currently Unsupported Features
- Does not integrate email/webmail into Joomla! or provide Single Sign-On (SSO) between email/webmail and Joomla! Meaning users will still need to login to both Joomla! and email/webmail separately.
- Authentication against multiple mail servers. Currently this plugin only supports authentication against a single mail server (although the address to which it connects may be load-balanced to multiple servers transparently).
- Joomla! 3.0 or later. (Confirmed working on Joomla! 4.0-alpha3.) There are previous versions of this plugin available for Joomla! 2.5 and for Joomla! 1.5.
- PHP IMAP Extension.
If mailbox authentication is not working, try the following steps:
- Enable Log Almost
Everything from the "Logging" tab of the "System - Debug" plugin in the Extensions
- Attempt to log in.
administrator/logs/everything.phpfrom the Joomla! directory on your server in a text editor and search for
authentication_mailboxnear the end of the log file. The log messages should include the arguments to
imap_open(excluding passwords) and the resulting messages from
administrator/logs/everything.phpdoes not exist, check that the directory permissions allow the PHP process to write to that directory.
authentication_mailboxdoes not appear in
administrator/logs/everything.php, check that "Authentication - Mailbox" is enabled in the Extensions Plugin Manager.
- Kevin Locke
- Last updated:
Jan 21 2019
4 years ago
- Date added:
- Nov 18 2014
- GPLv2 or later
- Free download
- J3 J4
Write a review